Things to Do & See During Your Stay
During your vacation in New Jersey, remember that the Whistling Swan Inn is only one hour from New York City. The only city in the world with over 2,000 restaurants, some of the most famous tourist attractions anywhere, and the most outstanding museums and art galleries in this country, if not the world. Broadway! You can get there from Stanhope during the week by train or on weekends by bus.
If you don’t want to travel to the Big Apple, or if you’re getting away from the city, there’s plenty to do and see right here in northwest New Jersey.
Listed below are some of the many local attractions and activities to make your stay memorable.
- Wild West City
- Tomahawk Lake
- Mountain Creek (28 miles)-Rte 94, Vernon, (973) 827-2000.
- Blue Heron Antiques
- Scranberry Coop
- Great Andover Antique Co.
- Grey Barn Antiques
- Lafayette Antiques
- Historic Chester
We have maps for a number of varied road and mountain bike rides. There are several hybrid and mountain bikes available for use on site. Please provide your own approved helmet. If you need a bike rental or repairs to your own bike, they are available locally at Cycle Works (1.9 miles), Rte 206, Byram, (973) 347-3733. Allamuchy Bike Ride Trail, North Jersey Places to Ride, Morris County Bike Trails.
- Andover Hunt and Fish
- For Lake Musconetcong Bait & Boat
- For Lake Hopatcong – Lake’s End Marina
- Dick Dow’s Boat Rental
- Lake Hopatcong Cruises – set sail aboard the Miss Lotta for lunch, dinner or cocktails (reservations required)
- Lakeview Marina
- To take a tour of Lake Hopatcong call the Jefferson House for their tour schedule, 973-663-3063, $12 per person.
- Sunset Sailboat Co
- Swartswood Lake State Park – Row Your Own Boat Rentals (kayak, canoe, paddle boat, sailboat, (973) 383-4200.
Canoe & Kayak Rental
- Kayak East , kayak tours of Cranberry Lake or Lake Hopatcong, company will bring a kayak for you or you can bring your own, 1-866-529-2532.
- Kittatinny Canoes, (30.7 miles), Silver Lake Rd, Dingmans Ferry, PA,
- Adventure Sports, Route 209, Marshalls Creek, PA , 1-800-487-2628
If you have a NJ fishing license, there are many local lakes and rivers to fish. Lake Musconetcong is within walking distance. Lake Hopatcong is within 3 miles. If you don’t have a license try Go Fish at 33 Newton, Sparta Rd, Newton, (973) 579-6633
- Morris Canal
- Sussex County Branch Trail
- Stephens State Park
- Kittatinny Valley State Park
- Stokes State Forest
- High Point State Park, Montague
- Aspen Ice at Randolph, (10 miles), 16 Aspen Drive, Randolph NJ (973) 927-9122
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum
- Morris Museum
- Sussex County Historical Society
- Sterling Hill Mining Museum
- Craftsman Farms Historic Site
- Stanhope House R&B
- Krogh’s Restaurant , (2 miles, Gastropub), 109 Rte 206, Stanhope, (973) 347-7258
- Centenary Stage , (9.5 miles), 400 Jefferson St, Hackettstown, (908) 979-0900
National & State Parks
- Pequest Trout Hatchery and Natural Resource Education Center
- Lakota Wolf Preserve
Ski Area – See Skiing Downhill and Cross Country.
- Sky’s the Limit, Newton, (570) 420-1011
Skiing – Cross Country
Skiing – Downhill
- Outdoor Courts in Port Morris 2 miles east on Allen St
- Outdoor Courts at Lenape Valley High School
- Indoor Courts – Flanders Valley Tennis and Swim Club
Wineries & Vineyards